Copy all files and directories using scp
I quickly assigne both of his laptop new IP address and using scp I copied all files:
$ scp –r /home/you/. you@new-system:/home/you
$ scp –r /home/you/. email@example.com:/home/you
Now everything is copied to new system (IP 192.168.1.100). And he got all his emails, bookmarks and files.
Appending a dot (.) symbol (current directory) is very important when you specify /home/you/ as a source path. If you skip dot in path it will only copy only normal files and scp will skip all hidden files.
Copy all files and directories using graphical method
- Login to old system
- Open two instants of Konqueror browser (i.e. open it two times)
- Go to first window and type in Location bar /home/yourname
- By default Konqueror will not display hidden files/directories. To see hidden files or folders use the Menubar View > Show Hidden Files option.
- Now select all files copy them (CTRL + C or Menubar Edit > Copy option)
- Now go to second Konqueror window and type in Location bar and type command: fish://you@newsystem
- You are using Konqueror with ssh to manage files on a Remote system called newsystem. You can use IP address instead of hostname.
- It will prompt for ssh password. Once logged in you can paste the files and folder
- Now just past all files and folder